Sunday, February 16, 2014

Crock Pot Pulled Pork


So I have made many meals in the crock pot, especially with this cold weather we are having!  We  were hosting friends for dinner and I wanted to do a Southern pulled pork recipe.  My Dad makes an amazing pulled pork in the crock pot so I asked him for the recipe.  He walked me through it over the phone.  It turned out fantastic!

Here's the recipe and my step by step, Enjoy!







Dad's Spicy Carolina Pulled Pork Recipe
1 bottle of Pork Rub ( I used Stubbs, only enough to coat the meat) 
1 cup of red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons of Worschesthire Sauce
1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
2 teaspoons of cracked red pepper
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon powdered cayenne pepper ( can leave out if you don't like it to have a little spice) 
2 red onions, quartered
1 bottle of dark beer ( I used a porter) 
5 lb. pork shoulder ( I used boneless) 

1. Rub the pork with the pork rub, then wrap it tightly in saran wrap and refrigerate for 3-4 hours.  ( I did it overnight) 
2. Place the quartered onions in the bottom of the crock pot.  Unwrap the roast and place on top of onions.
3. Drizzle the red wine vinegar over the roast, and the bottle of beer.  
4. Combine brown sugar, worsteshire, cracked rd pepper, cayenne pepper and mustard.  Distribute evenly in the crock pot and over meat.
5. Cook on low for 7-8 hours
6. Remove the meat and onions to a cutting board.  Remove any skin. Using 2 forks, pull and shred the pork.  Strain out or pour out most of the liquid in the pot.  Chop the onions and mix into the shredded meat. Place it back into the pot and leave on warm until ready to serve. 
7. Serve on warm buns ( I used Pretzel rolls) and top with your favorite sauce.  

Our favorite is Montgomery Inn, my husband is from Cincinnati and that stuff is amazing! However, my Dad recommended the Carolina gold BBQ sauce from Trader Joes so I put out both for people to choose from.  Normally I am 100% the Montgomery Inn but the other sauce was DELICIOUS!

I served it with Jalepeno cheddar corn bread  from Lemon Sugar and Baked Mac and Cheese from Delectable Edibles.   For dessert, a homemade trifle. ( The picture below was stolen from the internet, I forgot to take a picture of mine). 

Mom's Trifle Recipe
1 angel food cake
2 bananas (sliced) 
1 pckg of cool whip ( I used fat free) 
2 pkgs. of cheesecake pudding ( I made it with skim milk)
1 can of condensed milk ( her recipe called for making the pudding with that but I felt like it was too fatty so I didn't use it.) 
1 package of strawberries ( sliced)
1 package of blueberries

Make the pudding first and let it sit. 
Layer ingredients in the trifle bowl. 
Rip or quarter pieces of Angel food cake to coat the bottom. 
Cover that with the pudding 
Then an even amt. of strawberries, blueberries and banana slices
Top with a layer of cool whip. 
Repeat! Twice :) 



What's your favorite BBQ sauce? Do you have a favorite southern speciality?

XO,
GG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin

past posts

- See more at: http://helplogger.blogspot.com/2012/04/recent-posts-widget-for-bloggerblogspot.html#sthash.fy6BwhBk.dpuf